EPoSS Newsletter 1/2008
Content of Issue:
1. EPoSS Annual Forum 2007 Highlights: „JTI or Die”
2. Joint European Commission / EPoSS Expert Workshop “Beyond RFID – The Internet of Things
3. 2008 EU-Japan Cooperation Forum on ICT Research
4. Design, Automation and Test in Europe – DATE 2008
5. 12th International Forum on Advanced Microsystems for Automotive Applications (AMAA 2008)
6. The Future of Internet in Bled, Slovenia
7. Smart Systems Integration in Barcelona
From 12-13 Dec 2007 the EPoSS Annual Forum took place in Brussels. More than 150 participants intensively discussed current developments and next steps for the ETP EPoSS. A major topic, amongst others, has been the decision to move towards a Joint Technology Initiative.
- Rosalie Zobel, Director Components and Systems with the European Commission, emphasized that the creation of long-term strategic partnerships together with the dentification of potential sources of increased public and private investment are the major prerequisites for the creation of a potential Joint Technology Initiative (JTI).
- A JTI is a novel public-private partnership model merging budgets from various sources, including the European Commission, member state authorities and industrial stakeholders, becoming an effective tool for financing innovation in the field of Smart Systems integration. Eric Schutz, Vice President STMicroelectronics, pointed out during the Forum the words “JTI or Die”, which became the most cited slogan.
- EPoSS chairman Klaus Schymanietz stated that “With high speed, EPoSS has proven to be a major technology driver for European competitiveness. Now, we are dedicated to making Smart Systems Integration a success story for Europe”.
On 11 and 12 February more than 80 experts gathered to discuss future trends and visions related to the “Internet of Things”. The workshop was focused around the four topics: People, Technology, Processes and Vision. Each sub-workshop discussed intensively and controversially the multi-faceted workshop theme from very different points of view to establish a common understanding for the impact, potential roadblocks and recommendations for future strategies towards an “internet of things”
Co-organised by the European Commission and Japanese Ministries, the 2-day Cooperation Event will be organised on March 4-5, 2008 in Tokyo, Japan. The main expectedoutcome of the Forum is the identification of cooperation projects in areas of mutual and strategic interest, like RFID, micro-nanosystems or e-transport, for example. Furthermore, representatives from European and Japanese organizations specialized in the addressed research areas of the Forum will participate. More information on the Event can be found at >>> www.eurojapan-ict.org
The European Event for Electronic System, Design and Test will be held in Munich, Germany between the 10th and 14th March 2008. Conference sessions will include:
- Automotive Systems Day.
- Executive Management Sessions.
- Dependable Embedded Systems.
Visitors will also profit from having an industry Forum in the Exhibition Theatre.For more information, please consult the DATE website >>> www.date-conference.com
In conjunction with the DATE 2008 the KICK-OFF meeting of the EPoSS Working Group SECURITY will be held on 11.3.2008 at 18:30.
Conference: 12th International Forum on Advanced Microsystems for Automotive Applications (AMAA 2008)
The 12th International Forum on Advanced Microsystems for Automotive Applications (AMAA) 2008 will take place on the 11 and 12 March 2008 in Berlin, at the Steigenberger
Hotel, located in Los Angeles Platz 1, 10789 of the main city of Germany. The conference of this year will cover, among others, subjects related to advanced sensors including one based on the giant magneto resistance, several camera and radar systems making road traffic safer by assisting the driver in recognizing pedestrians and obstacles, and human-machine interfaces based on hand gestures. A special session will be dedicated to smart systems, addressing emerging technologies like a tire monitoring system comprising an energy-harvesting device, and other innovative solution for sustainable and convenient road transport. The keynote speech will be given by Mr. Jan Ivarsson, Chief Safety Strategist of Volvo Cars.For more detailed information please consult the AMAA website at >>> www.amaa.de
Promoted by the Slovenian Government under the support of the European Commission, the Conference will be held in Bled between the 31st March and the 2nd April. Its
goal is the understanding of what is being researched in the European Union in the area of Future Internet, identifying common problems and propose solutions to overcome barriers by presenting the key elements of an action roadmap.For further information, please visit the web site >>> www.fi-bled.eu
The European Smart Systems Integration Conference & Exhibition, taking place the days 9th and 10th of April, is the international communication platform for research institutes and manufacturers, and also part of the EPoSS activities. It offers the possibility to exchange know-how on smart systems integration and create the basis for successful research co operations with focus on Europe. Furthermore, high profile keynote speakers from industry and academia will give their perspective on developments and applications of Smart Systems.You can find more information or to registered at >>> www.mesago.de/en/SSI/main.htm